Decorating, Cooking, Party Ideas, Travel, and a Halloween addiction




Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lime Yogurt Cake with berry coulis

I found this recipe on one of my favorite blogs of all time smittenkitchen.com
It is super delish and fairly easy to make.

Cake

1 cup whole milk plain unsweetened yogurt (this is the ideal; however, I had success with 2% Greek yogurt)

1/3 cup vegetable oil (olive oil works as well, for a slightly different flavor profile)

1 cup sugar

zest of one lime

1/4 cup lime juice

2 eggs

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/8 teaspoon salt



Sauce

12 ounces fresh blackberries (frozen should work as well, but you should start with half the water)

1/4 cup water

3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice



Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the sides of a 9-inch round cake pan or springform pan with oil (I used a butter and flour spray out of habit, which works as well) and line the bottom with parchment paper if the pan is not springform.



In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, sugar, lime zest and juice. Add the eggs one by one, whisking well after each addition. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together, right over your yogurt batter. Stir with a spoon until just combined.



Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and let stand for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen. If you’re using the springform pan, unclasp the sides. Otherwise, flip the cake onto a plate and flip it back on the rack. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.



Make sauce: Combine blackberries, water, sugar and lime juice in blender or food processor. Purée until very smooth, then press through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. Cover and refrigerate until cold.



I made the cake exactly how she reccommends. However I messed with the sauce a bit because I had some blueberry on hand and added that in instead of the full ammount of blackberrys.

I am infatuated with her photography . I am also a fan of the recipes ;p Usually things are easy enough to make so I don't have to go buy a million ingredients, or devote too much time to the prep ,but not so dumbed down I feel insulted.

On a side note....I hate it when recipes are over simplified. I realize that there are beginners out there who want to have it on a first grade level, but in my opinion the vast majority of people who are cooking are at least at a intermidiate skill level. Some even expert .  sorry, rabbit trail

The point is, this was a great summer cake, you should make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment