Decorating, Cooking, Party Ideas, Travel, and a Halloween addiction




Friday, April 23, 2010

vegetarian chili

My husband , who has been a vegetarian for 20+ years asks me to make this practically every week.

12 oz. each small red kidney beans and pinto beans, fully cooked and rinsed
2-3 onions depending on size around 2.5c. chopped

I always add a few carrots to this vegetarian chili to give it a little color and bulk.
Not shown: 2 ribs of celery chopped into a small dice

tomatoes,
I usually take a dozen or so ripe tomatoes and blanch them myself , slip off the skins and then cook it with the other veggiees until they becomes stewed tomatoes. But you could easily use 3 cqans of prepared stewed tomatoes

Now saute the  onions, carrots and several cloves of chopped garlic in some olive oil . Once the onions become translucent, start adding in the tomatoes, while adding,crush them up .season with salt and pepper.
I sometimes add 1 green pepper chopped at this point
Once all the ingredients are stewing , add the beans and if necessary some water/vegetable stock , so it is a good mixture of chunks and broth.
 add 2 cans of chili beans
Take about a cup of the beans and mash them up then add it into the pot. This will help the consistency of the broth.

When I season things I do not measure, but This is pretty close.

3Tbsp. chili powder
2Tbsp cumin
2tsp cayenne
salt
pepper

FYI chili is always better the next day, so make it a day in advance for best taste.
Garnish with cheese crackers, and cilantro

No comments:

Post a Comment